Aug 12, 2008

Chetan Bhagat’s Misadventure into writing

So got my hands on much talked about “3 mistakes of my life” well I don’t wanted to create a special post exclusively for Mr. Chetan Bhagat as it would have added to his nuisance value anyway, but I ended up creating a new pos , just because of sheer volume of its content.
Now moving back to the 3 mistakes, after reading ¾ book, I cannot understand why it has created a buzz, in literary circles. Its not that I m venting out against Chetan. For instance I liked his first attempt titled “Five Point Someone”. As it provided a much needed fresh air, with its buzzing campus language. Incidents narrated were like just out of life, taken straight out from a real campus. So it connected with readers particularly the young ones who were either set to join in a campus, or were already in the campus, and also with those who cherished their campus memories. The main hero was a normal and typical Indian boy. I fear a theme stretched too far by Chetan in his other attempts.
So hari was amongst us, he was one of us, and so we connected well to him and others in Five Point Someone.
Then came the dull one night @ call centre, wow that was a serious attempt to shoo away your readers. I particularly didn’t liked his idea of a borrowed story, the setting were too imaginary, to be digested. One night @ call centre was shoddy, and below par to say in most humble manner possible. Its climax or rather anticlimax of it was horrible. I don’t understand what the idea was. Booze, sex and god altogether, in a single package. Biggest mnc’s of world will take a good look before offering such package, and you Mr. Bhagat did it in so nonchalant manner.
And then with 3 mistakes of my life, May be it was your idea to over promise and underperforms. Or even if it was vice versa, then according to me, one night @call centre has already under promised and “3 mistakes of my life” has clearly over performed

By the way I must appreciate increasing boldness of female characters.
Neha did it in her home, knowing particularly that his father will not be home n the meantime
Priyanka managed in a quails, parked in a secluded place.
Vidya had it on terrace, and considering that probability of someone coming on terrace, wasn’t as low as calculated, it was a really dare devil attempt.

I guess next time it would happen in bathroom of a swanky mall, or in elevator, or better still in Buddha Park
Any takers

No comments: